Thursday, March 15, 2018

Reading is STILL Fundamental: X-Men 132

I will always remember the day I bought X-Men 132.

It was the day that The X-Men (for a while) became a monthly comic book I loved and cherished more than The Incredible Hulk.

(Today I would say I love the Hulk more. However, I love no single issue of a comic book more than X- Men 132.)


You see even though the story and art was provided by Marvel's version of The Beatles -Chris Claremont, John Byrne and Terry Austin is breath taking and with out equal...there's a story behind the story.
You see X men 132 represents much more. Here's what happened.

I got home from school and my dad tells me to "Get in the car." "We going somewhere."

Now. This was 1979 and my dad didn't believe in communism, Amway...or TELLING ME TO DO SOMETHING TWICE.

I had no idea where we were headed of I was in trouble.

We park and I follow my father into the filthiest, nastiest, smuttiest adult bookstore in Atlantic City.

I am looking around and I am seeing parts of the woman's body that I never ever thought I would see...(with my father in the room.) Also these ladies were doing a lot.

Then my dad gave me $5 and pointed to a spinner rack of comics that were in mint condition but 5 for a 1$. 

I came home with stacks of books...in that stack was X-Men 132..titled "And Hellfire Is Their Name."

That book represents to me...a funny story of how my father and I bonded...in a hot bed of sexual smut that could only happen like it did back then.

My dad will have been gone 6 years in April and I still miss him and I never got to ask him...how he found that place.

                                                                    -------------
Now with regard to the actual story of X men 132?

The art of John Byrne and Terry Austin is just a tour de force. And let me say...Glynis Oliver never gets the credit she deserved for setting the moods with her coloring during this incredible run on The Uncanny X-Men.

There are other books in this run that have over all better art. That are happier. More earth shaking events.

However what I still love about this book besides how it connects me to dad...is that this book is The X-Men's version of The Empire Strikes Back.....

I remember reading the end of the book and just being upset and yelling that I had to wait to see how it ended. SPOILER ALERT: The following 2 books are better than Return Of The Jedi.

X Men 132 is one part of The Dark Phoenix Saga...I doubt the graphic novel format will have the "PUNCH IN THE TEETH" effect it had on me when I finished reading it and wondered for 30 days (thank God it was no longer bi-monthly at that time.) The X Men books from the late 70's with Claremont, Byrne, Austin and Oliver are worth their weight in platinum and still some of the best stories from "The House Of Ideas."

                                     Our Great Sponsors









No comments:

Post a Comment

THRIV is the festival for ARTS/ARTISTS AFTER 40

  T hriv, coming to Atlantic City for a weekend that is full of fun and inspiration for baby boomers and gen Xers thinking about how you wan...