Friday, July 13, 2018

LOVE IN THE MORNING: A Different World and Black Excellence

First Things First!

I MISS THE 1990's.

I Miss the 1990's like it's 1995 and I am still wearing my leather African Medallions every day!

I Miss the 1990's like I could going on dates to book stores,  museums.,  parties , or picnics and having the time of our lives.


I Miss The 1990's.


And I miss A Different World ….



This TV show is, was and (thanks to VHS, DVD and streaming) REMAINS EVERYTHING.

I cannot name a show that was better at showcasing #BLACKEXCELLENCE.


I cannot name a show that was better at showing the Black People I knew and loved. In the ADW universe black people graduated college, joined the military, started families, had baby scares, contracted AIDS, gave back to the community, had to navigate violence, boycotted and celebrated a lot of Black Excellence.


ADW was not a fantasy world where all problems ended neatly in a Brady Bunch 30 minutes...nor was it a raging condemnation of all young black people. There was not a person black or white that appeared on ADW that I had not met in my own real life at one time or another. I knew the struggle of people I loved...even when I did not agree with their politics, cultural views or lifestyles.


I also love that ADW allowed us to get reacquainted with so many wonderful stars from Lena Horne (I believe her last TV role was on ADW) to Leslie Uggams and Billie Dee Williams who appeared in the next to last episode.

I would be remised if I did not take time to say thank you to the cast members I have spoken with since the show ended. Ms. Ajai  Sanders, Ms. Charnele Brown and Sinbad....have all taken the time to speak with me at length about this very important show. (And I apologize for being such an unprofessional gushing fan.)




Like too many things in life. The farther we go since A Different World the more important and special we realize that it was/is.




Yet we should celebrate that the show set the table for great shows like Smart Guy, KC Undercover, Living Single, Dear White People and even Marvel's LUKE CAGE.




I Love The 1990's like there is another season of A Different World coming in September and Denise and Theo are going to be special guests in the season premiere. (IF ONLY!)

-------------------

PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS















2 comments:

  1. Nice article! A Different World is my go-to show to remind youth that there are all kinds of ways to be Black. Regardless of background, everyone wound up at Hillman, influenced each other and lived life during and post college. But first, you got to get in the door to your life. I loved all the circumstances and political views/conflicts. BTW I was beyond happy when ADW showed up on Centric, Bounce & Netflix.

    ReplyDelete

THRIV is the festival for ARTS/ARTISTS AFTER 40

  T hriv, coming to Atlantic City for a weekend that is full of fun and inspiration for baby boomers and gen Xers thinking about how you wan...