Thursday, March 22, 2018

THE 1985/88 SLAM DUNK CONTESTS...A NEVER ENDING BATTLE

3 Things In My World Will Never Ever Be Settled!

#3 What Would Happen If The Incredible Hulk (Marvel) and Superman (DC) really fought (an imaginary battle) for real. (I know I'm a geek.)

#2 Who Really Won The Sugar Ray Leonard Vs. Marvin Hagler Fight (I will be writing about that too.)

The Number one thing that will NEVER BE SETTLED IN MY MIND IS...WHO REALLY WON THE 1985 and 1988 Slam Dunk Contests?

Now before all my hardcore ball fans start yelling Vince Carter...we are not talking about the best dunker ever....

I am discussing the phenomenon that was The Slam Dunk Contests between Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkins.

I surmise that if it happened today...Jordan would take home the trophies because through the spectrum of time sports writers and young fans have made Jordan into Paul Bunyan and Big Foot all rolled up into one.

I lived through The Jordan years....

The 1985 and 1988 Slam Dunk Contests happened when Jordan was only "Fonzie" from Happy Days...however Dominique Wilkins was a terror of a dunking machine himself. While the NBA was wondering (for real) whether Jordan was going to be able to assume the mantle of "the next Dr. J"- Wilkins was making his own legend as "The Human Highlight Reel."

When these 2 forces game together head to head in the 1985 Slam Dunk Contests....It would not be much of an exaggeration to say...The Hulk left down, Superman was not available for comment, and perhaps the only event more electrifying was The Thriller In Manilla.

Jordan Vs. Dominique for the undisputed Slam Dunk Crown...

Though Dominique Wilkins won the title in 1985...that contest has RIGHTLY been disputed and still is.





Injuries kept the 2 giants from rematching until 1988.
In 1988...The Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkins that entered Chicago Stadium that day would have creamed their younger selves (from 1985) in a dunk contest.



I have been writing for over ten years and have watched this 1988 contest several times...the words still are just beyond reach!

I can give you one word...

CLASSIC!

In the final tally I believe Wilkins averaged 48 and Jordan 49 ....

I am not saying Dominique was robbed (although I have said it....)

However, being as close as it was and the contest taking place on Michael Jordan's home court there was no way he was going to lose.

Also keep in mind MJ never dunked against Wilkins again ever.

I still think Wilkins won...but God knows....it so much of a tie...that gets closer and closer every time I watch it!


                         Please Support Our Sponsors









No comments:

Post a Comment

THRIV is the festival for ARTS/ARTISTS AFTER 40

  T hriv, coming to Atlantic City for a weekend that is full of fun and inspiration for baby boomers and gen Xers thinking about how you wan...