Friday, March 16, 2018

MY TELEVISION'S ON....Atlanta on FX.

 Welcome to my new feature...."MY TELEVISION'S ON."
As the mood strikes me I will blog about TV.
Over the years I have written critically about television and film for Pleasant News, Vibe Magazine, XXL, Philadelphia Weekly, several other magazines and now my own website.

There are several shows that I have started to start this column about...

However last night I laughed hard and long as I watched Donald Glover's ATLANTA so...here we go!



Everyone that knows me, knows I hate coming late to a party.
However, I feel like I am right on time with jumping into season number 2 of the party that is Atlanta on FX.

Shout out to one of my favorite style makers and a resident of Atlanta my good friend "Brooklyn." She's the one that hipped me to why I would enjoy this show.



In truth I stayed away from the first season because I am not the biggest fan of urban country.... I have till now not enjoyed the fashion, music or slang. I do not find the culture slow or negative...just normally not a personally good fit for me.

I did however watch the first episode of season 2 called Alligator Man which features Katt Williams. By the way....Donald should let me produce a spin off featuring Katt William's character "Willie."

ATLANTA was not the comedy/drama I thought it would be.

First of all I love dark humor and the world that Donald Glover has created around hip hop, dope boys, the underground hip hop industry and strip clubs is both funny and dark.

My favorite part about Atlanta is that it's not afraid to get dark, ridiculous and even adult and gritty. It's like The Wire with punch lines...okay it's nothing like The Wire with punch lines....until it is.

Last night's show called Money Bag Shawty was one of the best written single episodes of any television show I have seen this year! The 3rd episode...really and truly made me think of what SEINFELD would be if shot in Atlanta with a Black Cast.



Most of the show revolves around trying to spend a $100 bill while black and the other part of the show...is funnier than that.

Here's the thing. I am not a huge fan of people celebrating the use of alcohol and drugs. However, in keeping with the tone of the show...it would feel a lot less honest if this show were produced with me in mind instead of the audience it was conceived for and that has followed so far.




                             Please Support Our Sponsors


  








No comments:

Post a Comment

THRIV is the festival for ARTS/ARTISTS AFTER 40

  T hriv, coming to Atlantic City for a weekend that is full of fun and inspiration for baby boomers and gen Xers thinking about how you wan...