Saturday, February 3, 2018

4 REASONS TO UNBOYCOTT FOR SUPERBOWL SUNDAY

Weeks before the 2017/2018 NFL season started, I walked into the studios of WPPM 106.5 FM  in Philly and explained to fellow producer Harv Nichol...why I was now boycotting The NFL!

Harv gave me his word as a man and a "brother" that he would join me in not watching NFL football this year. He did so without me asking him to.

When it was announced Harv's home town Eagles were favorites to go to The Super Bowl , I texted Harv this message. "Your team looks like they are going to The Bowl this year! This is special. I appreciate your support in our efforts to effect change, but go on and enjoy your team. Root for them "birds" and enjoy the Super Bowl run. Zero judgement from me."

Ladies and Gentlemen.
The Boycott of The NFL was and is the right thing!
However you can be RIGHT and you can be RIGHT!

Here are 4 Reasons (especially for Eagles and Pats fans) to UnBoycott and enjoy the 2018 Super Bowl!
4. THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE WORKING!
I wrote a few articles about The Super Bowl ( full disclosure.)
Many caterers of color will be making great food and earning important dollars that will go to fund things like Little League Teams this summer. My good friend Leonard Dozier is doing the voice over of the highlights of the game for NFL FILMS.
In supporting Colin Kaepernick, we can also support our other brothers and sisters who need those party dollars!

3.The Boycott Worked (to a degree)
While The NFL was able to shut up and shut down Kaepernick. His movement continues. Hundreds of players and some owners ended up taking a knee this season. So even now. The conversation about police violence is not going away. The Boycott was about Kaepernick and his job...but also about the core issue POLICE VIOLENCE. Also THE NFL ratings took a major hit.

2. WE STILL HAVE TO KEEP THIS UP!
Taking a break for one day, will not mean we are back in bed with THE NFL or cool with their treatment of people of color as property.
Next year before the first pre season snap, whether Kap is on a team or not. I will be writing about why I have turned MY back on THE NFL.

1. THE SUPER BOWL IS A PARTY AND BIGGER THAN FOOTBALL.

Living in Eagles country extended...The Super Bowl with The Eagles in it is like Christmas 2.0. So while I have total distain for Black Friday, I ride hard for Christmas. I feel the same about The NFL. I have not watched a game all season, but I am not going to be The Eagles Grinch.

In the case of my man Harv Nichol. He works hard for truth, justice, and Philly Youth...every day! I am not about to say he hasn't earned the right to celebrate the team he's loved all his life. The struggle is about not about missing out on what makes life worth living.

The Super Bowl is special and to try and ruin it when The Eagles are playing for the trophy is like trying to ruin a bowl of ice cream with sprinkles.

Whether you decide to boycott Sunday or not. Enjoy your weekend!

                                  OUR SPONSORS















No comments:

Post a Comment

THRIV is the festival for ARTS/ARTISTS AFTER 40

  T hriv, coming to Atlantic City for a weekend that is full of fun and inspiration for baby boomers and gen Xers thinking about how you wan...