Sunday, October 28, 2018

GOOD NIGHT..NTOZAKE SHANGE words and art By Raymond Tyler


The truth is being from Atlantic City, I came across many of theater's classic plays by Black writers, relatively late in my artistic life.

I was in my mid 20's when I first saw A Raisin In The Sun. I was 30 before I first read Their Eyes were Watching God. (Not a Black Play but should be done as one.)

I had never seen For Colored Girl Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow Was Enuf, until 1996. 

That was the year I made to trip to Atlanta for The National Black Arts Festival. I urge every artist of every color to go. I am making the commitment to myself to attend the next one.


Back to For Colored Girls, I had never had a play at that time gut punched me so hard....I was floored by the naked honesty and drama that was true to my life (even as a black man that loves women.)


For Colored Girls was one of the first plays I saw that bore witness to a Black Experience that I had lived. Women that WERE my mother, aunts, cousins, former lovers were not just thrown on stage but treated with value in a public forum.


I got to speak briefly with Ms. Shange and was so excited because I learned then she hailed from Trenton, NJ (and I was from Atlantic City.)


I had not seen here again until recently when The African American Museum of Philadelphia celebrated The 40th Anniversary of  For Colored Girls.


The passing of Ntozake Shange is a tragic loss to the world of the arts...though the giant and the spirit have moved on...HER BLESSINGS WILL ALWAYS REMAIN WITH US.

Good Night and God Bless.


Note: The original and prints of the art from this article are available. The proceeds will go to hep fund our special 2019 Arts/Educational Programming. Your support is appreciated.

Please Support Our Sponsors and Events!
















No comments:

Post a Comment

THRIV is the festival for ARTS/ARTISTS AFTER 40

  T hriv, coming to Atlantic City for a weekend that is full of fun and inspiration for baby boomers and gen Xers thinking about how you wan...