Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Happy Birth Day


Today Dr. King would have been 90.

I was always "haunted" by his story.

That we were both born in January.
That I was alive at the same time as he (although just so briefly before his murder.)

That I have never believed that America as a whole has owned up to it's role in his murder.
I have never believed that Black people in America as a whole have lived up to his incredible sacrifice.

One day may we wake up and realize what we had in Malcolm X and Dr. King and in their widows.
And out of our shame...and pride.

May we finally do better as a country, as a people and to each other.

___________


Today By Raymond Tyler

Today I still see the reflection 
Of Dr. King
not many of the physical rewards of his sacrifice...
I see his reflection staring back at me in a glass of water
every time I have to take a meeting
with people that know half as much as I do
telling me I should be happy to sit at the table
but when I try and eat what I need
put what I want on the plate
they remind me
"YOU AIN'T REALLY WELCOME HERE
YOU JUST TAKE ENOUGH
TO MAKE IT 
LOOK LIKE
YOU EATING
Today...
we'll give you what we want you to have...
we'll put what we think your struggle is worth on the plate
we'll tell you how much the people that sent you are entitled to eat
this is New Jersey
The year is still 2019.
Don't You EVER forget the time
Don't you NEVER forget your PLACE"
and when I get up from the table
they are still confused....
But I'm Not....I Know
Strom Thurman, Bull Conner, Steve King,
Still run most of the America
I Live in 
I Work in
I Vote in
I Pray In



Please Support our Sponsors and Live Events








Love In
Today

No comments:

Post a Comment

THRIV is the festival for ARTS/ARTISTS AFTER 40

  T hriv, coming to Atlantic City for a weekend that is full of fun and inspiration for baby boomers and gen Xers thinking about how you wan...