Tuesday, November 27, 2018

5 Questions about our 2018 Holiday Drive


I was at an event the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and DJ Swoosh said..."Damn Ray.
You have holiday drive events almost every weekend in December."


I hate to explain myself.
To a degree I just don't think like everyone else, I never did.
I have found out the more I explain the less people relate.
To a degree, you have to trust and like me...or deal with other people. That’s fine.


However, this time I will share some information.


How Did  Darkseed Communications, Ray Tyler, The Light start with The Annual Holiday Drive?

Way back when I was a columnist for The Atlantic City Weekly. I went to the publisher Lew Steiner and explained that I felt a responsibility to the readers and the community that produced me to give back. It was already the week before Thanksgiving. So I proposed that we put out a box in the lobby for donations and I would write about  the drive in my column. Lew did better than that. He added a advertisement and we both pledged to donate $100 each of our own money if we got no toys.

I am still proud of The AC Weekly readers and my radio show of the time The Alternative Soul, Breakfast Club. The Wednesday after the drive was announced I was called to the office to pick up the toys. In Fact that year we gave  toys to everyone that asked for toys, we also got a great donation of hoodies and sweat suits from NBA player Stephon Marbury that we gave to The Covenant House and we were able to give toys to several organizations to help their drive.
The good people of The Shore Mall also were good to us.



Why The Parties?

Why not I'm a festive person. Our first party was at Pistol Pete’s and we also gave away awards to many great people here in the community. We will not be doing the award piece this year.

However we are giving award cash award prizes for art at our December 2nd and 16th events.
Parties and events are a way for people to enjoy the season and help.
Some people just want to drop off  toy or make donation...some people want to be more involved.


Why 3 Events This Year?

As great as our very first year was. It has been increasingly hard to get donations. In most cases...people still want to give. People give to other sources and that’s great too.

Also some of the same people that gave in the past..do not have it now.
So in order to get about one quarter of what we had donated in 3 weeks time (that first year,), now takes about 2 months. I also work hard and actually pester friends for donations and contributions.

Another reason I made the choice to increase the events is because now I produce radio and media in The Philadelphia area. As long as I am alive I refuse to go into any community and make money and build my brand and give nothing back. So now I also try and help people that request from me in Philadelphia, Camden and that area as well.

What Are You Collecting This Year?

Toys
Canned Goods
New Socks, Hats, Gloves
Financial Donations (every year I have to run out and get something I may not have from a request, I come across great deals like $5 coats, the other day someone asked for money for baby formula.)

What Do People or Organizations Have To Do to Request Help?

Ask.
I help as many as I can. I do not buy Playstations or Xboxes.
However, if anyone is bold enough to ask for help?
I am determined to do what I can. What I can’t I try and find resources for.

So if you’d like to help this year?

December 2nd is DJ’s and Artists Against Hunger at Ventnor Coffee






December 9th is The Alternative Soul Holiday Show at

The Labelle Art Gallery in Haddonfield,NJ





December 16th is The Festive Fest at The Bourre in AC.





You can also bring new socks, hats and gloves directly to The Covenant House of Atlantic City!

You can make a financial donation to RaymondCTyler@gmail.com via paypal or google pay.
I know I can set u a go fund me or other service that will take a cut. So I cut out the middle man.

If you are part of an organization that would like to partner please email me at RaymondCTyler@gmail.com.

If you are unable to donate a new tot, a pair of socks or can of food? Please offer your encouragement and prayers for success this year!

Please and thank you.


Please Support Our Sponsors and Special Events!











No comments:

Post a Comment

THRIV is the festival for ARTS/ARTISTS AFTER 40

  T hriv, coming to Atlantic City for a weekend that is full of fun and inspiration for baby boomers and gen Xers thinking about how you wan...